is back again. Hope you missed us as we did miss you. So which letter is the next on our list - it's definitely letter C
! Mountains starting with C… Inner voice says it should be Cotopaxi
Ecuador has always been a sort of Mecca for adventure seekers and mountain enthusiasts around the world. The country’s landscape offers a variety of amazingly beautiful mountains and volcanos most of which can be scaled in one or two days. One of them is Mount Cotopaxi
- the second highest peak in Ecuador and the highest active volcano in the world. Many sources claim that Cotopaxi
means shining pile or mountain in an indigenous language, but this is unproven.
Summitting Cotopaxi is generally considered not difficult in a technical sense but there are some threats Cotopaxi may pose on the route such as hidden crevices in the glacier ice and steep snow slopes. Although ascending on Cotopaxi is often forbidden due to seismic activity in the area it is the one of the top mountaineering destinations with nearly 5 000 climbs annually. Cotopaxi had been officially closed for climbing by authorities until it reopened on October 7, 2017.
Some more facts about Cotopaxi:
- Country: Ecuador;
- Parent Range: Cordillera Oriental;
- Elevation: 5 897 m / 19 347 ft;
- Guided climbs per year: 4 500;
- Average cost of a guided tour: $1 000 USD;
- Total climbs per year: nearly 5 000;
- It was first climbed in 1872